Coaching Skills for School Leaders
QQI Level 6 Certificate Award in
Coaching Practice & Ethics
(Specialising in Educational Leadership Coaching)
This unique training programme is designed for School Principals, Deputy Principals, Assistant Principals and Aspiring School Leaders.
Leadership Coaching Programme Schedule 2020/21
Coaching is becoming increasingly important in organisations across many sectors. Whether you are seeking to introduce a coaching culture to your school or striving to unlock the potential of your staff, this programme will equip you with the effective coaching techniques and skills to succeed. You will enjoy a powerful and practical learning experience.
In our world of increased demands and expectations of school leadership roles we often experience pressure, leading to:
It’s amazing how quickly these responses become the norm and we just accept this as a way of life.
We are offering a practical, skills based programme to equip you with some of the key skills necessary for effective leadership in your school environment and to support and resource your CPD in a real, practical and relevant way.
The Leadership Coaching programme content and skills respond in a relevant and practical way to the guidelines prescribed in the four domains of the Quality Framework for Leadership and Management from the Department of Education and Skills (2016) publication, Looking at our School.
The programme content is aligned with the AC [Association for Coaching] core competencies.
Programme Modules and Learning Objectives
Module 1: Leadership coaching in schools – Coaching Principles and Practice
Module 2: Developing the School Leader Coaching Mindset and Skills
Module 3: Developing Emotional Intelligence – applying the coaching skills
Module 4: Coaching Models of Practice for the School Context
Module 5: Coaching and the ISM Team
On this Coaching Special Purpose Award Programme you will:
- Discover new ideas in learning and behavioural change based on recent neuroscience research, indicating the value of coaching for leaders.
- Examine cases and situations where coaching would be most useful in your school
- Determine how to blend managing with coaching for the most beneficial results.
- Have achieved a high level of self-awareness
- Identify what mental and emotional states are necessary to hold during a challenging conversation so the person stays receptive to the conversation.
- Learn models of coaching most useful for developing people’s thinking as well as solving problems.
- Practice using coaching in a variety of leadership situations e.g. with staff, parents and students
- Have increased confidence in your coaching skills ability
- Engage in constructive conversations
- Listen with intent and communicate more effectively
- Use powerful questions to influence thinking
- Make requests and acknowledge achievements and best practice
- Delegate with ease and confidence
- Design action plans
- Establish agreements and commitments
- Monitor and facilitate progress through support, encouragement and validation
- Engage in sharing constructive feedback
- Manage your emotional state to respond effectively to everyday challenges
- Become more resilience in your school leadership role
Training and Learning Methodologies
The course is interactive, combining a balance between coaching theory and practice. Participants will be encouraged to learn by doing and to continuously reflect on new learning experiences. Continuous reflective practice will enable coaching perspectives and skills to be firmly embedded in the school environment.
The programme facilitates experiential learning, giving participants opportunities to practice new skills and discuss how to integrate the skills into the scenarios they regularly face in the school environment.
A wide and varied range of training / learning methodologies will be used, e.g. live coaching demonstrations, YouTube videos, discussion groups, peer coaching practice sessions and observed coaching sessions with constructive feedback.
We firmly believe that one of the most important dimensions of the coach training process is the continuous personal and professional development and transformation of the course participant. Therefore, we encourage and support participants to:
- Become more self aware
- Make more conscious choices daily
- Develop a positive mental attitude about self, others, life and work
- Practice non – attachment
- Live with ambiguity and uncertainty
- Be more resilient
a) Peer coaching practice
b) Coaching skills practice in the school environment
c) Written self evaluation on coaching skills utilised in the workplace
d) Written essays and case study
e) Coaching Project
f) Coaching Skills Demonstraion
g) Reflective Journal
Dates, Venues and Programme Fees
Level of Qualification:
NFQ Level 6 Special Purpose Award (45 credits)
24 Tuesday Evenings, 6.30pm to 9pm, September to May
4 Saturdays, 9.30am-4.30pm (Specific dates TBA)
Clare Education Centre
Galway Education Centre
The Education Centre, Tralee
Laois Education Centre
Places Available: 18 places available in each venue (Closing date for receipt of Application Forms and Registration Fee is May 29)
€1950 – Special Introductory Offer
Application Form along with €150 Registration Fee to be processed online with each Education Centre.
€1800 fee balance to be paid in TWO instalments:
€900 prior to September 10 and €900 due on February 4.
CoachAcademy PLUS will contact you to process balance of payments
If you have any questions or need further information about this Coach Training Programme for School Leaders please contact Noel Brosnan on 086 8063792 or firstname.lastname@example.org